The University of California employs about 6,000 postdoctoral scholars who contribute to the academic community by enhancing the research and education programs of the university. The postdoctoral experience emphasizes scholarship and continued research training. UC's postdoctoral scholars bring expertise and creativity that enrich the research environment for all members of the UC community, including graduate and undergraduate students.
The International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) is the exclusive representative of the postdoctoral scholars. Individuals in the following titles are in this systemwide bargaining unit:
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Employee (Title Code 3252)
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Fellow (Title Code 3253)
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Paid Direct (Title Code 3254)
- Learn more about the unit, its membership and dues/agency fee
- See current contract
- 2014 Health and Welfare Postdoctoral Scholar Benefit Plan - Appendix A