Bright Horizons Care Advantage is a web-based resource to help you find and select pre-screened care for children, adults — even pets. You select the caregiver that's right for you.
Whether you need everyday care or back-up care, Bright Horizons Care Advantage provides a comprehensive childcare and eldercare solution to complement UC's work/life benefits and employee assistance program resources.
UC offers this work/life balance resource to help current UC faculty and staff members find caregivers — especially on short notice — so that they can get to the office or classroom with minimal disruption.
Who's eligible: Employees with Full, Mid-Level and Core benefits;
Who’s covered: You and your family members
Who pays: UC pays for access; you pay for care
This benefit is subject to collective bargaining. Here is a list of participating bargaining units:
- A7 - Academic Senate - UCSC
- CX - Clerical & Allied Services
- F3 - Fire Fighters - UCD
- F7 - Fire Fighters - UCSC
- GS - Printing Trades
- IX - Non-Academic Senate Instructional
- KB - Skilled Crafts - UCB/LBL
- K2 - Skilled Crafts - UCSF
- K4 - Skilled Crafts - UCLA
- K5 - Skilled Crafts - UCR
- K8 - Skilled Crafts - UCSB
- KM - Skilled Crafts – Merced
- LX - Professional Librarians
- PA – Police Officers
Retirees and residents/house staff are not eligible for UC's benefit at this time, but may access the Bright Horizons Care Direct resources with paid membership at www.sittercity.com.
Eligibility begins on the first day you become eligible for UC-sponsored health benefits. However, newly eligible employees cannot register online until about 4 weeks after they become eligible. If you need to find a caregiver immediately, contact Bright Horizons Care Advantage customer service.
How the Plan Works
UC pays the fee that gives you access to the Bright Horizons Care Advantage website with its networks of pre-screened providers. You make all the arrangements including hiring and payment to the provider you choose.
Access to the Bright Horizons Care Advantage website provides comprehensive childcare and elder care solutions to complement existing center-based benefits that may be offered on some campuses.
Bright Horizons Care Advantage offers two programs:
- Sittercity, which offers individual in-home caregivers including babysitters, full and part time nannies, pet sitters, tutors, housekeepers and individual senior caregivers
- Years Ahead, which offers a nationwide network of senior care providers, including certified senior care advisors for guidance, specialized facilities including memory and hospice care and independent and assisted living communities, and in-home healthcare and senior care companions
Register online at the UC-specific Bright Horizons Care Advantage site. There will be two program links within this site: Sittercity and Years Ahead.
You must register for the Sittercity and Years Ahead programs separately.
Use Sittercity’s web tools to find appropriate in-home caregivers. You can:
- Search for caregivers using direct search based on criteria important to you or post a job and have candidates apply to you
- Read profiles and reviews of caregivers
- Check caregivers’ references
- View background checks for the candidates you preferThen interview and select the caregiver of your choice. The selected caregiver comes to your home or other location you determine.
Pay the caregiver directly. You also may evaluate the caregiver and the quality of care received.
You may also interview and select future caregivers in advance of your need; then save the list of names to your Sittercity account so you’re prepared when last minute needs arise. Or post a last-minute job to the Sittercity website and have candidates apply to you.
Call Sittercity customer service for assistance using the site.
The Years Ahead site offers detailed profiles of care providers including photos, experience, capabilities, pricing, reviews and more to help you decide which one is right for you and your family. Years Ahead also provides:
- A Care Path Needs Assessment for those unsure about the type or level of care needed
- Certified senior care advisors to help families through the process
- Shared accounts so that you can share information such as assessments and findings with others involved in the decision making process
UC pays the fee that gives you access to Bright Horizons Care Advantage. You pay all costs of care directly to the caregiver. If you have a personal Sittercity account, contact Sittercity customer service before you register on the UC Sittercity site to let them know that you have a personal account and you are a UC employee. Sittercity will refund the prorated membership fee you have paid.
If You Leave UC
If you leave UC employment or if you become ineligible for this program, your Bright Horizons Care Advantage account access will end at the end of the month you become ineligible. You have the option to purchase a subscription to use the Sittercity public website at www.sittercity.com. Contact Sittercity customer service at 888-748-8371 if you have questions about this program.