Who's eligible: Employees eligible for full benefits
Who’s covered: You and your family members
Who pays the premium: UC pays for employees; retirees pay for themselves
What the Plan Covers
- One vision examination per calendar year — including testing and analysis of eye health and any necessary prescriptions for lenses or contact lenses. You pay a $10 copay.
- One set of corrective lenses per calendar year — including single vision, bifocal, trifocal or other complex glass or plastic lenses. Photo-chromatic lenses, tints and polycarbonate lenses are fully covered if you use a provider in the VSP network. You pay a $25 copay. If you use a non-VSP provider and you elect tints and polycarbonate options, you receive a $5 reimbursement.
- One set of frames every other calendar year up to $130. For retirees the frame allowance is $160.
- Contact lens allowance of $110. If you choose elective contact lenses, you cannot also have frames and corrective lenses covered in the same calendar year. If contact lenses are medically necessary and you use a VSP provider, the cost is fully covered. Generally, contacts are covered for those who have had cataract surgery, have extreme acuity problems that cannot be correct with glasses or have some conditions of anisometropia or keratoconus.
- You may also purchase annual supplies of select contact lenses at a reduced cost. Talk to your VSP provider or see the VSP website for additional details.
- Discounts on laser corrective vision surgery through VSP contracted laser centers. Call VSP for more information.
- Eye care services for Type 1 diabetics through the Diabetic EyeCare Program. Contact a VSP doctor for more information. If you use a VSP network doctor or provider, you pay only the required copays for covered services and the cost of any services or materials beyond the allowance. Additional discounts are available for services the plan doesn’t cover, including:
- 30 percent discount on additional pairs of glasses, including sunglasses, if purchased from the VSP doctor who provides the member’s eye exam on the same day as the exam.
- 20 percent discount for additional pairs of prescription glasses purchased within 12 months following the last covered eye exam, if purchased from the VSP doctor who provided the exam.
- 15 percent discount for contact lens professional services; for example, fittings or adjustments.
Cost of Coverage
UC pays the full cost of the monthly vision plan premium for employees. UC’s contribution toward the monthly cost of coverage is determined by UC and may change or stop altogether.
Retirees pay the premium for retiree vision insurance.
|Retiree + Child(ren)||$24.01|
|Retiree + One Adult||$23.79|
|Retiree + Family||$29.40|
Employees and retirees pay copays — $10 for a vision exam, $25 for materials if you need glasses and $55 for progressive lenses. You also pay for additional care, services or products that VSP does not cover.