UC offers employees and retirees a choice of medical plans because maintaining good benefits is important to you and it’s important to UC. Our plans have a broad choice of providers — including UC medical center doctors, hospitals and medical groups — and plan designs to fit your needs. And UC continues to cover most of the cost of the monthly premiums.
Employees have these medical plan options:
- Blue Shield Health Savings Plan, a PPO with a UC-funded health savings account that also allows you to contribute tax-free
- Health Net Blue & Gold, an HMO with a network designed just for UC
- Kaiser, an HMO with a closed network of doctors and hospitals
- UC Care, a PPO plan created just for UC with access to UC doctors and medical centers as well as the entire Blue Shield PPO network
- Western Health Advantage, a regional HMO in the Davis-Sacramento area
- Core, a catastrophic plan
Behavioral health benefits for these plans are provided by Optum (except for the Core plan, which uses Blue Shield).
Important changes for 2017: Beginning Jan. 1, 2017, the benefits administrator for UC’s PPO medical plans for employees and retirees (including Medicare PPO and High Option Supplement plans) will be changing from Blue Shield of CA to Anthem Blue Cross. Visit the Open Enrollment website for more information about 2017 plan changes.
All retirees not eligible for Medicare may enroll in any of the employee plans except Blue Shield Health Savings Plan. Individuals enrolled in the Blue Shield Health Savings Plan when they retire may continue in the plan as a retiree until they, or a family member, becomes eligible for Medicare.
Retirees enrolled in Medicare may choose from the following plans:
- Blue Shield Medicare PPO
- Blue Shield Medicare PPO without prescription drugs
- Blue Shield High Option Supplement to Medicare
- Health Net Seniority Plus
- Kaiser Senior Advantage
Behavioral health benefits for Medicare plans are provided by Medicare and the plan.
Retirees living outside California with all family members in Medicare will also see changes. Read more