Important changes for 2017
Beginning Jan. 1, 2017, Anthem Blue Cross is the administrator for medical and behavioral health benefits for UC’s preferred provider organization (PPO) medical plans for employees (Core, UC Care and UC Health Savings Plan) and for retirees (UC High Option Supplement to Medicare, UC Medicare PPO and UC Medicare PPO without prescription drugs). OptumRx is the administrator for prescription drug benefits.
Anthem Blue Cross has begun mailing ID cards to all members. Members of UC High Option Supplement to Medicare and UC Medicare PPO will receive an additional ID card from OptumRx to access pharmacy/prescription drug benefits.
For more information about the change, including what to do if you need to access benefits before you receive your ID card, see our transition checklist.
UC offers employees and retirees a choice of medical plans because maintaining good benefits is important to you and it’s important to UC. Our plans have a broad choice of providers — including UC medical center doctors, hospitals and medical groups — and plan designs to fit your needs. And UC continues to cover most of the cost of the monthly premiums.
Employees have these medical plan options:
- Health Net Blue & Gold, an HMO with a network designed just for UC
- Kaiser, an HMO with a closed network of doctors and hospitals
- UC Care, a PPO plan created just for UC with access to UC doctors and medical centers as well as the entire Anthem Blue Cross PPO network
- UC Health Savings Plan, a PPO with a health savings account that allows you to contribute tax-free
- Western Health Advantage, a regional HMO in the Davis-Sacramento area
- Core, a catastrophic plan
Behavioral health benefits for HMO plans (Health Net Blue & Gold, Kaiser and Western Health Advantage) are provided by Optum. Behavioral health benefits for PPO plans (UC Care, UC Health Savings Plan and Core) are provided by Anthem Blue Cross.
All retirees not eligible for Medicare may enroll in any of the employee plans except UC Health Savings Plan. Individuals enrolled in the UC Health Savings Plan when they retire may continue in the plan as a retiree until they, or a family member, becomes entitled to Medicare.
Retirees enrolled in Medicare may choose from the following plans:
- UC Medicare PPO
- UC Medicare PPO without prescription drugs
- UC High Option Supplement to Medicare
- Health Net Seniority Plus
- Kaiser Senior Advantage
Behavioral health benefits for Medicare plans are provided by Medicare and the plan.
Retirees living outside California with all family members in Medicare will also see changes. Read more