Who's Eligible: Employees eligible for full, mid-level or core benefits
Who’s covered: You
Who pays the premium: UC
Employees eligible for full benefits are automatically enrolled in Basic Life at no cost. Employees eligible for mid-level or core benefits are automatically enrolled in Core Life at no cost.
Supplemental Life, Dependent Life and Expanded Dependent Life insurance are available for a monthly premium to employees eligible for full or mid-level benefits. Senior Management Life is also offered at no cost to members of the Senior Management Group.
What the Plans Cover
- Basic Life – Benefit equal to employee's annual salary up to a maximum of $50,000
- Core Life – $5,000 benefit
- Supplemental Life – Four coverage levels from $20,000 to four times annual salary up to $1 million.
- Basic Dependent Life – $5,000 coverage each for spouse or domestic partner and/or eligible children
- Expanded Dependent Life – Up to 50 percent of employee supplemental life benefit (maximum of $200,000) for spouse or domestic partner; $10,000 each for eligible children
- Senior Management Life – Two times senior manager's annual salary to a maximum of $800,000. This benefit is in addition to Basic Life.
Benefits are paid to your beneficiaries if you die while employed or on paid leave, or during the first four months of approved leave without pay or temporary layoff. Your beneficiaries receive these benefits in addition to any other death benefits for which you may qualify.
Your cost for Supplemental Life and Expanded Dependent Life depends on your age and the coverage amount you choose (from $20,000 to four times your annual salary, up to $1 million). Estimate your 2016 monthly premiums here.
Monthly premiums are decreasing effective Jan. 1, 2017; estimate your 2017 premiums here.
Enrollment for the Basic, Core and Senior Management Life is automatic depending on the level of benefits for which you are eligible. Generally, you can enroll yourself in Supplemental Life insurance and your dependents in Dependent Life insurance at anytime during the year. Your Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE) will determine whether you are required to submit a completed short-form health statement questionnaire or not.
Naming Your Beneficiaries
You should designate a beneficiary immediately upon enrolling in Life and/or AD&D insurance. You may name the same or different beneficiary for your UC Retirement Plan and/or Senior Management Life, if any.
You can change your beneficiaries at any time. If no beneficiary is named or if your beneficiary is no longer living, any benefits will be paid to your survivors in the following order:
- Surviving legal spouse or surviving domestic partner; or, if none,
- Surviving children, on an equal-share basis; or, if none,
- Surviving parents on an equal-share basis; or, if none,
- Surviving siblings; or, if none,
- The member's estate.
When you leave UC employment or retire, you may be able to continue life insurance benefits. You have different options depending upon the plan.