Core is a high-deductible catastrophic plan.
2017 changes: Anthem Blue Cross has replaced Blue Shield of California as the administrator of medical benefits for Core, and OptumRx has replaced Blue Shield as the administrator of prescription drug benefits. For more information, see our transition checklist.
Anthem Blue Cross has begun mailing 2017 ID cards. You may also print a copy of your ID card from the Anthem website or call Anthem (844-437-0486) to request your ID number.
How the plan works
- You can choose any doctor or hospital you wish, worldwide, but Anthem Blue Cross PPO network providers cost less.
- Preventive care from in-network providers is covered at 100% without the need to meet your deductible.
- For all other services and prescriptions, you pay 100% of the cost until you meet the deductible ($3,000 for both in-network and out-of-network providers).
- Once you meet the deductible, you pay 20%.
- Annual out-of-pocket maximums ($6,350 individual/$12,700 family) limit what you pay. The calendar year deductible is included in the annual out-of-pocket maximum. If you reach the annual maximum, the plan pays 100% of your medical and prescription drug costs for the rest of the year.
- Behavioral health services are provided by Anthem network providers.
Best fit for you if:
- You want to pay no monthly premium
- You want direct access to all providers without need for referrals
- You are willing to risk incurring high out-of-pocket costs
- You want coverage when you are traveling or living abroad
UC pays the entire premium for Core; there is no additional premium cost to you.
Typical out-of-pocket costs
Once you’ve met the deductible, you pay:
- Office visit/urgent care visit: 20% (preventive care from in-network providers has no charge)
- Emergency room: 20%
- Hospital stay: 20%
- Prescription drugs: 20%