You deserve a fair contract that recognizes your hard work and dedication. UC has offered AFSCME leaders guaranteed wage increases and excellent benefits for all patient care technical and service employees, as well as limits on healthcare cost increases and a one-time lump sum payment of $750 for all eligible employees. AFSCME leaders have repeatedly rejected UC’s offers and is now asking members to consider another strike.

Another AFSCME strike will not intimidate UC and will only delay getting you a fair agreement. You deserve a good contract, not more conflict.

Service workers have lost out on thousands of dollars in pay increases because of AFSCME decisions

Under UC’s April 6 settlement offer, service employees would have received a 3 percent pay increase within 60 days of an agreement, and another 3 percent increase in October, for a combined 6 percent pay increase in 2018. They also would have received a one-time payment of $750. AFSCME leaders rejected UC’s offer. As a result, service employees have missed out on significant pay increases this year. The following chart shows how much money service workers have missed out on in 2018 because AFSCME rejected UC’s April 6 settlement offer.

Position Average Annual salary* October pay if AFSCME had accepted UC’s April 6 offer Missed 2018 pay increase Missed one-time payment Total cash missed due to AFSCME**
Building Maint. Worker $47,310 $50,148 $2,838 $750 $3,588
Groundskeeper $46,329 $49,108 $2,779 $750 $3,529
Senior Custodian $39,925 $42,320 $2,395 $750 $3,145
Food Service Worker $39,219 $41,572 $2,353 $750 $3,103

*Source: Oct. 2017 UC data **Based on annualized pay

When AFSCME strikes, you lose

UC did not change its offers as result of AFSCME’s May strike. Additionally, employees who participated in the AFSCME strike last May lost three days of pay — approximately $500 for the average service employee. Can you really afford to lose even more money by participating in another AFSCME strike?

Strikes are unfair to patients, students and co-workers

Make no mistake — strikes impact patients, students and other UC employees. We think it is wrong for AFSCME leaders to threaten services to patients and students, and to inconvenience your co-workers, with another strike.