UC Care is a PPO plan created just for UC. You can get care from most UC physicians and medical centers as well as the Blue Shield Preferred network of providers — the choice is yours. You also have coverage for non-network providers.
Register for a Blue Shield of California online account by Dec. 31, 2016
Open Enrollment is just around the corner, and in 2017 Blue Shield of California will no longer be the administrator of UC's PPO plans (including UC Care). Your UC Open Enrollment materials, arriving the week of Oct. 24, will have more information about your 2017 benefit options.
For online access to your claims information from 2016 and previous years, register for an account at www.blueshieldca.com/uc by Dec. 31, 2016. After this date, you will not be able to register for an account and will need to call Shield Concierge for this information.
Once you register, you’ll be able to view health benefits for you and your covered dependents — including claims status, year-to-date deductible amounts, and more — even after your Blue Shield coverage has ended.
If you need assistance, contact Shield Concierge:
855-702-0477 (toll-free domestic)
800 60004040 (toll-free international)
How the plan works
- You may choose any doctor or care facility, worldwide.
- You have two options for in-network care:
- You pay set copayments for covered services and there’s no deductible when you use providers in the UC Select network (available only in California).
- You also can choose a provider in the Blue Shield Preferred network and pay 20% of the cost of service after the deductible has been met.
- The Blue Shield Preferred network has a $250 deductible for individual coverage and $750 deductible for a family of three or more.
- Or, you can choose a non-preferred or out-of-network provider and pay 50% of the cost. There is a $500 deductible for individual coverage and $1,500 deductible for a family of three or more.
- Annual out-of-pocket maximums limit what you pay. If you reach the annual maximum, the plan pays 100% of your covered medical costs for the rest of the year. There is a separate prescription out-of-pocket for in-network prescriptions filled at in-network pharmacies.
- UC Select: $1,500/individual; $4,500/family
- Blue Shield Preferred: $3,000/individual; $9,000 family
- Out-of-network: $5,000/individual; $15,000 family
- Blue Shield will administer claims.
- Behavioral health benefits are provided by Optum. Optum providers generally have lower costs, but you also may use out-of-network providers. Costs are included in your deductible and out-of-pocket maximums.
Best fit for you if:
- You want direct access to most providers without a referral
- You want no deductible and fixed copay for using providers in the UC Select network
- You want coverage when you are traveling or living abroad
- You and/or your family members live outside California
Monthly plan costs
|Pay Band (per annum)||Self||Self +
|$51,000 and under||Employee Cost||$114.92||$206.86||$296.33||$388.26|
|$153,001 and above||Employee Cost||$226.28||$407.31||$528.81||$709.83|
Typical out-of-pocket costs
- Office visit/urgent care visit: UC Select: $20; Blue Shield Preferred: 20%; out-of-network: 50%; (preventive care with in-network provider has no charge)
- Emergency room visit not resulting in an admission: $200
- Hospital stay (facility only): UC Select: $250; Blue Shield Preferred: 20%; out-of-network: 50%
- Prescription drugs: $5, generic; $25, brand name; $40, non-formulary; specialty 30% for 30 day supply (up to $150 copayment maximum)