UC Care is a PPO plan created just for UC. You can get care from most UC physicians and medical centers as well as the Anthem Preferred network of providers — the choice is yours. You also have coverage for non-network providers.
2017 changes: Anthem Blue Cross has replaced Blue Shield of California and Optum as the administrator of medical and behavioral health benefits for UC Care. OptumRx has replaced Blue Shield as the administrator of prescription drug benefits. For more information, see our transition checklist.
Anthem Blue Cross has begun mailing 2017 ID cards. You may also print a copy of your ID card from the Anthem website or call 844-437-0486 to request your ID number.
How the plan works
- You may choose any doctor or care facility, worldwide.
- You have two options for in-network care:
- You pay set copayments for covered services and there’s no deductible when you use providers in the UC Select network (available only in California).
- You also can choose a medical provider in the Anthem Preferred network and pay 20% of the cost of service after the deductible has been met. The Anthem Preferred network has a $250 deductible for individual coverage and $750 deductible for a family of three or more.
- Or, you can choose a non-preferred or out-of-network provider and pay 50% of the cost. There is a $500 deductible for individual coverage and $1,500 deductible for a family of three or more.
- Behavioral health benefits are provided through Anthem Blue Cross. You can see any behavioral health provider you choose, but you’ll pay less and receive higher benefit coverage when you see an in-network provider. Some services may require prior authorization.
- Annual out-of-pocket maximums limit what you pay. If you reach the annual maximum, the plan pays 100% of your covered medical costs for the rest of the year. There is one combined out-of-pocket maximum for medical, behavioral health and pharmacy expenses.
- UC Select: $5,100/individual; $8,700/family
- Anthem Preferred: $6,600/individual; $13,200 family
- Out-of-network: $8,600/individual; $19,200 family
- Anthem Blue Cross will administer claims.
Best fit for you if:
- You want direct access to most providers without a referral
- You want no deductible and fixed copay for using providers in the UC Select network
- You want coverage when you are traveling or living abroad
- You and/or your family members live outside California
Monthly plan costs
|$53,000 and under||$88.75||$159.75||$243.81||$314.82|
|$156,001 and above||$200.11||$360.20||$476.29||$636.39|
Rates for union-represented employees are subject to ongoing collective bargaining as appropriate.
Typical out-of-pocket costs
- Office visit/urgent care visit: UC Select: $20; Anthem Preferred: 20%; out-of-network: 50%; (preventive care with in-network provider has no charge)
- Emergency room visit not resulting in an admission: $200
- Hospital stay (facility only): UC Select: $250; Anthem Preferred: 20%; out-of-network: 50%
- Prescription drugs: $5, generic; $25, brand name; $40, non-formulary; specialty, 30% for 30-day supply (up to $150 copayment maximum)