If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you are eligible for health coverage from your employer, your state may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage, using funds from its Medicaid or CHIP programs. If you or your children are not eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you will not be eligible for these premium assistance programs, but you may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. For more information, visit www.healthcare.gov.

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, you can contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, you can contact your state Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) or CHIP office or visit www.insurekidsnow.gov or dial 1-877-KIDS-NOW to find out how to apply. If you qualify, you can ask the state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for a UC-sponsored plan.

If you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under UC’s plan, UC will permit you to enroll in UC’s plan, if you are not already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance.

If you live in California, you can contact the California Department of Health Care Services for further information on eligibility at: www.dhcs.ca.gov
Email: HIPP@dhcs.ca.gov

If you live outside of California, see the Model Notice for Employers Regarding Premium Assistance Opportunities on dol.gov for a list of states that currently provide premium assistance. The list is effective as of July 31, 2018, and includes contact information for each state listed. To see if any more states have added a premium assistance program since July 31, 2018, or for more information on special enrollment rights, you can contact:

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
1-877-267-2323, Menu Option 4, ext. 61565