The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Federal Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time in an eligible federal, state, or local public service job, 501(c)(3) nonprofit job, or other not-for-profit that provides certain types of qualifying public services.

The University of California is a qualified employer for the PSLF program. Generally, many full-time UC employees with Direct Loans may be eligible to apply their months of employment towards PSLF.

While the information on this page is intended to be a helpful resource, if you plan to pursue PSLF it is important to become familiar with all program requirements on the official FSA Public Service Loan Forgiveness website

What do I need to do to qualify?

Verify the types of student loans you have

Only Direct Loans qualify for public service loan forgiveness.  If you do not know which types of federal loans you have, log in to My Federal Student Aid. If you see a loan type with “Direct” in the name, it is a Direct Loan. Other loan types are made under another federal student loan program.

Consolidate your federal student loans (if necessary)

If you have Perkins Loans, FFELP Loans, HRSA Title VII Loans (HPSL, LDS, NSL), or you borrowed student loans before July 1, 2010, you may need to consolidate these federal student loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan.  Only qualifying payments you make on a new Direct Consolidation loan can be counted towards the 120 payments for PSLF.  You can consolidate federal student loans through

WARNING:  Consolidating your loans can reset the clock for PSLF qualification purposes.

Enroll in an income-driven repayment plan

To be eligible for public service loan forgiveness, you must be enrolled in an income-driven repayment plan. You also must make a majority of the 120 required payments while enrolled in an income-driven repayment plan.

If you are working towards PSLF

You should complete the PSLF Employment Certification Form.

You should submit the Employment Certification Form to the U.S. Department of Education:

  • When you begin a job in public service
  • When you switch employers
  • Annually to ensure you're on track

If you have made 120 qualifying payments

You should complete and submit the PSLF Application for Forgiveness.  

How do I submit my forms?

  • Complete Sections 1 and 2 of the PSLF Employment Certification Form or the PSLF Application for Forgiveness.
  • Submit the form to the UCPath Center for completion of Sections 3 and 4:
    • Written requests can be faxed to (951) 697-6839 or sent by email to Additionally, you can submit an inquiry directly to UCPath:
      • Step 1: Click on Submit An Inquiry
      • Step 2: Select Topic: Human Resources
      • Step 3: Select Category: General Inquiry Human Resources
      • Step 4: Enter your Subject
      • Step 5: Enter your Description
      • Step 6: Verify Best Contact Number and Email
      • Step 7: Click on: Submit
    • There is a three (3) day turnaround time for requests. Please specify along with your request, how/where to return the form.
  • Submit the completed form to:

US Department of Education - FedLoan Servicing
P.O. Box 69184
Harrisburg, PA  17106-9184
or FAX to:  (717) 720-1628