Most employees can make all of their Open Enrollment changes online, using At Your Service Online (AYSO) or UCPath, depending on your location. Retirees can make Open Enrollment changes online using UC Retirement At Your Service (UCRAYS). Choose your location (or select "retiree") from the dropdown on the homepage to see the correct sign-in button. 

If you are a retiree enrolled in Medicare and living outside California, you must use the UBEN 100 form to make changes to dental and legal coverage.

The instructions below will help you make Open Enrollment changes using AYSO. If you're enrolling through UCPath, see How to make changes using UCPath. If you're a retiree enrolling through UCRAYS, see How to make changes using UCRAYS.

Before you begin

  • If you've forgotten your password, select "Forgot Your Password". You can have a temporary password emailed to you or correctly answer two of your challenge questions for access.
  • If you're enrolling in a medical plan that requires a Primary Care Physician (PCP), make sure you have your doctor's PCP number. Go to your medical plan page for more information about your plan's providers.

How to sign in to your At Your Service account

  • Select the "Sign In" button above (beginning Oct. 31).
  • Enter your Username and Password to sign in.
  • Select Open Enrollment under "Health & Welfare."
  • Use the menu options on the left side of the screen to navigate through the Open Enrollment application. You need only select the plans you want to change.

Once you've signed in, you can:

Enroll or disenroll a family member

You should add new family members before making changes to your plans. Select the Family Member button and fill in the Dependent Information Form at the top of the screen. Then click on the Add button.

To enroll or disenroll current family members, you can choose either the specific plan menu option or the Family Member menu option. Select the appropriate box. A check mark indicates the family member is enrolled, and a blank box indicates the family member is not enrolled.

Enroll or make a plan change

Select the button for the plan you want to change. Then, enter the necessary information or select the appropriate box. When you have made all the changes for that plan, select the button for a different plan if you want to make other changes. If you have changed to a medical plan that requires you to select a Primary Care Physician (PCP), the PCP selection screen will appear automatically so that you can enter your PCP information.

Review and Confirm

Select the Review and Confirm button to see all the changes you've made. If you are satisfied with the changes, select Confirm. If you want to make additional changes, you can go back and do that before you confirm. If you haven't made any changes, it is not necessary to confirm. You may simply log off or return to the Main Menu. You must select "Confirm" to complete your changes.

Confirmation Statement

If you have an email address on record with the university, your confirmation will automatically be emailed to you. Otherwise the confirmation will be sent through the mail to your home address of record.

Even if you have confirmed your changes, you can make additional changes until 5 p.m., Nov. 26.

If you have any problems enrolling online, contact your local Benefits Office.

Any changes you make are effective Jan. 1, 2020.