UC net
What to do if you're

Having a baby

Great! Here’s everything you need to know about taking time off work, enrolling your new child in benefits, and resources UC offers to help you take care of yourself and that adorable bundle of joy.


Talk to your department head or manager and your local HR representative about using your sick time and vacation, if any, and/or family and medical leave to extend your time off.

Faculty: see family-friendly policies in the academic personnel policy for information about leave provisions.

Non-represented staff: UC’s baby-bonding leave provision allows parents who have been employed by UC for at least 12 months to use up to 30 accrued sick days for bonding with your new child. You can also use vacation days, PTO (if applicable) and/or CTO.


Talk to your local HR representative to apply for disability benefits.

Why disability? Because that’s the UC insurance benefit that pays part of your salary while you’re on leave having your baby. For a normal pregnancy, your disability benefits generally begin two weeks before your expected delivery date and continue for six weeks after the birth of your child.


Check with your UC medical plan about programs they may offer.

Many of UC's medical plans offer programs to support people during pregnancy, and as they first become parents.

Make sure you have benefits coverage during your leave.

Talk to your local HR representative to ensure your benefits continue while you’re on leave.


After the baby comes home: Update your benefits

Enroll your child. You have 31 days after the birth to add your child to your benefits. If you use UCPath to manage your benefits, you can make this change through your online account. If you use At Your Service Online, talk to your local benefits office. You also may enroll in the Health and/or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts. If you’re already enrolled, you can increase your contributions.

Update your beneficiaries. This is a good time to review your beneficiary designations for your benefits, too. You can update beneficiaries for the UC Retirement Plan (including Pension Choice), life insurance and AD&D by signing in to your UC Retirement At Your Service (UCRAYS) account. Update your Savings Choice, 403(b), 457(b) and DC Plan beneficiaries by signing in to your account on myUCretirement.com.

Set up payroll deductions for college savings. You can arrange for payroll deductions for contributions to ScholarShare, California’s college savings plan.


When you return to work: Re-enroll in benefits

Within 31 days of your return to work, you'll need to restart benefits you chose not to continue during your leave. If your leave was less than 120 days, you may re-enroll yourself (and your eligible family members) in the same plans, with the same coverage levels as before. After a longer leave, you may enroll in any UC-sponsored plans for which you're eligible.


Find childcare

Most UC faculty and staff have free access to Bright Horizons Care Advantage and its Sittercity database of childcare resources. Whether you need full-time care or back-up care in an emergency, you may be able to find the person you need using Sittercity. UC gives you free access; then you find the caregiver and make arrangements for care and payment.

Your campus may have onsite childcare or information on local childcare resources.


Learn about resources for nursing parents

UC promotes a family-friendly work environment, and that includes support of nursing parents. The university makes available private space for lactation purposes and will provide lactation break time for nursing parents.