UC net
What to do if you're

Establishing a domestic partnership

Congratulations on your partnership! The University of California has been a leader in offering benefits to domestic partners. As you settle into your life together, you may want to enroll your partner in your benefits or update your personal information. Here are a few things to consider.

Understand UC’s benefits eligibility rules for domestic partners

Note that the health and welfare eligibility requirements for same gender partners and opposite gender partners are different from the eligibility requirements of the UC Retirement Plan. Details on both are found in the booklet “Benefits for Domestic Partners”.


Enroll your partner in health and welfare benefits.

You have 31 days from the date your partner meets the eligibility requirements to make certain benefits changes — e.g. add your partner to your health coverage or enroll your partner in life insurance.

While no documentation of eligibility is required to enroll and start coverage, you will receive a Family Member Eligibility Verification packet which will require you to provide proof of your partnership in order to continue the coverage. If you do not provide proof, your partner will be disenrolled.

Remember, if your partner also works at UC, you can be covered under your UC benefits or your partner’s, but not both. If you decide to cover both of you under your benefits, be sure your partner de-enrolls from his/her benefits.

If you drop your UC medical coverage to go on your partner's plan and your partner loses his or her job, you can re-enroll in UC coverage within 31 days of losing your partner’s coverage.

Employees use the UPAY850 form and retirees use the UBEN100 form to enroll.


Establish your domestic partner for purposes of UC retirement benefits

Should you die, your partner will need to establish that a domestic partnership existed for at least 12 months prior to your death in order to receive a number of survivor and death benefits from the UC Retirement Plan. If you die before establishing your partnership by an accepted method, your partner cannot be considered for such benefits so it is very important to establish the partnership as soon as possible.

There are three ways to establish your domestic partnership for UCRP:

  • Registration of your domestic partnership with the State of California;
  • Registration of your same-sex union, other than marriage, validly formed in another jurisdiction, that is substantially equivalent to a California domestic partnership; or
  • Signing and filing a UC Declaration of Domestic Partnership (UBEN 250).

Understand the tax implications of enrolling your partner in your health benefits.

The value of UC's portion of your medical, dental and vision coverage for anyone who is not your tax dependent is considered imputed income and may be subject to FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes, federal income tax and any other required payroll tax. Read more about imputed income here.

If you decide to change your tax withholding, you can do so online.


Update your beneficiaries.

You can change your beneficiaries online. Change your UC Retirement Plan and insurance plan beneficiaries on AYS Online. Change your Retirement Savings Program beneficiaries on the myUCretirement website.