UC Blue Logo
What are you looking for?

Required documents for retirement election

General requirements and guidelines

  • Additional documents may be required if there has been a name change and it is not clear that the document submitted pertains to the individual.
  • Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
  • If a document is signed electronically, the signature must be added by an authorized service such as DocuSign. Signatures added to documents through applications such as Adobe Acrobat are not acceptable. 

Monthly Retirement Income (UBEN 161) or Lump Sum Cashout Election (UBEN 165)

  • Member signature (POA, Guardian, Conservator acceptable if approved by RASC)
  • If married: Signature of spouse required, even if legally separated
  • If in a domestic partnership: Signature of domestic partner required

Eligible spouse

Marriage evidence

Eligible domestic partner

Domestic partnership evidence

Eligible child

Disabled child

Dependent parent

Contingent annuitant

Birth evidence — It is not necessary to submit an original document; a legible copy of an acceptable document will suffice.

Acceptable documents

Marriage evidence

  • Marriage Certificate
    • If domestic, the certificate must show that it was registered with the county
    • If international and not in English, a translation must accompany the certificate
  • Grant Deed (if Deed lists spouse’s name)
  • Ship’s Log
  • IRS 1040, 1040A or 1040SR Tax Return showing “Married – Filing Jointly” from one calendar year prior to retirement (must include page with “written” or “electronic” signature and date signed)
  • IRS Form 8879 – A declaration document and signature authorization for an e-filed return filed by an electronic return originator (ERO)

Domestic partnership evidence

  • Civil declaration of Domestic Partnership with official seal
  • UBEN 250 – Declaration of Domestic Partnership University of California Retirement Plan plus two pieces of evidence showing financial interdependence, both dated 1 year prior to retirement (details about acceptable evidence are included in the UBEN 250 instructions) 
  • Verification through UC’s Family Member Eligibility Verification

Birth evidence

  • Birth Certificate/Delayed Birth Certificate with official seal
  • Passport
  • Green Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization (showing age at certain year or birthdate)
  • Military Records
  • If born prior to 1950:
    • Statement from Social Security giving date of birth according to their records
    • Baptismal Certificate, church records, bible entry (if issued before age 21)
    • School Records (showing age at certain year or birthdate)
    • Insurance Policy (if issued before age 21)
    • Census Record (if issued before age 21
    • Medical Records (prior to age 21)

Documents not acceptable as birth evidence

  • High School Diploma
  • Driver’s License
  • Social Security card

Verification of student enrollment

Records from high school, community college, university, or other educational system showing enrollment at 50% or greater.

Significant support

  • Copy of most recent tax return showing parent(s) and/or child(ren) as tax dependent(s) (must include page with “written” or “electronic” signature and date signed)
  • Records of child support