UC net
What to do if you're

Changing jobs within UC

One of the great things about working at UC is that you can build your career anywhere in the system. If you take a job at another UC campus, medical center or the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, you keep your seniority and your benefits move with you as long as you make the transfer within 120 days of leaving your previous location.

Even if you take a job at another UC location after 120 days have passed, you should make sure your new location knows about your previous service so your records can be coordinated.

In general, you may not change your insurance benefits when you transfer unless your plan is unavailable in your new location. You’ll keep your current enrollments at your new location. Therefore, you should not use At Your Service Online to enroll in your benefits at your new location.

Sounds complicated, right? Don’t worry, just follow the steps below.


Contact your existing and new benefits office

Contact the benefits office at the location you’re leaving and the one your joining and let a benefits officer in each place know you’re transferring. The move is more likely to go smoothly if both offices are kept aware of how your transfer is progressing. Be sure to keep in touch with both offices during the transfer to make sure your vacation, sick leave, UCRP service credit and other benefits records transfer seamlessly.


Ask for a transfer form

Ask a benefits representative or the person in your department who handles benefits at the location you’re leaving to fill out an Inter-location Transfer Form (UFIN301).

Give the transfer form to your new location

Give the transfer form to the benefits office at your new location. It’s very important to keep a copy for your records.

Check your medical plan eligibility

Check to be sure you can continue in your current medical plan since some are not available at all UC locations. If your plan is not available at your new location, you’ll be able to choose a new one. To do so, you'll need to fill out a UPAY 850 form and turn it in to the benefits office at your new location. Remember, you may need to select a new primary care physician and/or dentist after you transfer. Call your plans directly to make the selections.

If you receive a COBRA health insurance continuation packet, ignore it. As long as you provided your new location an Inter-location Transfer Form, your health insurance will continue.


Contact Fidelity about your retirement accounts

If you’re contributing to the 403(b), the 457(b) or the DC After-Tax plans, contact Fidelity Retirement Services to set up your payroll deductions at your new location. You may miss a payroll deduction in the transfer. Make sure the combined contributions from your old and new locations don’t exceed the IRS maximum allowed annual contributions. These maximums change each year and depend on your age, and Fidelity can help you ensure you stay within the limits.

If you have a 403(b) loan, your payment may be delayed during your transfer. Contact Fidelity Retirement Services and the payroll office at your new location to be sure your loan payments are not interrupted.


Review your pay statement

Once you’ve started your new role, be sure to review your first few paychecks carefully to be sure all your benefits plans have transferred.

Be sure to check to see that your Flexible Spending Account contributions have continued, if you're enrolled. Unless you have a qualifying event (like getting married or having a baby), you have to continue your existing level of contributions to your FSAs for health and/or dependent care. A transfer is not, by itself, a qualifying event. If any monthly contributions are missed because of payroll deadlines, your new location can make a retroactive adjustment so coverage and contributions are continuous.